"In both supply-chain management and the channels of distribution, strategic partnerships are critical to success. But truly synergistic partnerships are hard to find. Professor Jap draws on her own experience and extensive research to help us learn from partnerships that have gone awry. Managers who understand why partnerships fail learn to minimize failures and, in turn, enhance successful collaboration."
- John R. Hauser, Kirin Professor of Marketing, MIT Sloan School of Management
"Dr. Sandy Jap is an academic with her feet out of the ivory tower and in the real world of business.
Partnering with the Frenemy is an insightful view about what can make relationships work, or not work, amongst businesses."
- David Hisco, CEO ANZ Bank New Zealand
"Sandy Jap is a world-class academic with a passion for the challenges of sustaining business partnerships. Her book is not only rigorous, but also very accessible and full of hands-on advice for anyone involved in such partnerships. I recommend it with enthusiasm."
- Dominique M. Hanssens, Bud Knapp Distinguished Professor of Marketing, UCLA Anderson School of Management
"Sandy Jap has spent decades studying a subject that perplexes many firms: why a business relationship that had been good for years, seems suddenly, inexplicably to have gone south. She calls this phenomenon 'frenemization' (and we do need a term for it). In this short book, she explains both the causes and possible cures for this nasty problem. Read this book; if you don't, some of your friends will likely become your frenemies."
- Gary L. Lilien, Distinguished Research Professor of Management Science, Penn State,
and Research Director, Institute for the Study of Business Markets
"Sandy Jap, a world-class expert in business partnerships, has written a great book that opens up the 'black box' of business relationships, shedding light on the dark places, and providing key tools to mitigate the downsides and successfully manage business relationships for performance and profit. Anyone who relies on partners or relationships to make their organization work- that is,
everyone- should read this book."
- Katherine (Kay) N. Lemon, Accenture Professor, Boston College, Executive Director, Marketing Science Institute
"In today's rapid-pace business world where no firm can do it all, relationships between
organizations are necessary but can fall apart quickly. Sandy Jap's insightful book describes how and why these relationships fail but also gives hope by offering a useful framework to support enduring business relationships to create value for all. Thank you Sandy!"
- Jackson Nickerson, Frahm Family Professor of Strategy and Organization, Olin Business School, Brookings non-resident Senior Scholar, Associate Dean and Director Brookings Executive Education
"Sandy Jap is the most qualified scholar to help us understand the underpinnings of inter-organizational relationships. In this book, she makes an invaluable contribution to helping managers in organizations create, maintain, and enhance these relationships over time. This is essential reading for anyone working in both for- and non-profit organizations today."
- Russell S. Winer, William H. Joyce Professor of Marketing, Stern School of Business, New York University
"Sandy Jap is the Dr. Phil of business relationships- knowledgeable, brutally honest, insightful, exciting, and valuable advice for successful business partnerships. Partnering with the Frenemy
is a must read for anyone seeking strong business relationships and successful business partnerships. This book gives you access to a lifetime of wisdom on what it takes for successful business partnerships from one of the preeminent relationship gurus of our time."
- Mark Bergen, Associate Dean and James D. Watkins Chair in Marketing, University of Minnesota Carlson School of Management
"Powerful insights on what makes business relationships tick- when they grow- when they come apart- and how to make them stronger. Built on rigorous, relevant research and clearly explained in Sandy's unique and very engaging style. Don't miss this book- it will make you more money, enable you to build stronger business relationships, and it's fun to read!
- Ralph A. Oliva, Director, Institute for the Study of Business Markets, Professor of Marketing, Smeal College of Business, Penn State
"We all deal with different kinds of partnerships in our business or professional lives. Read Sandy Jap's book as she uses her personal experience and management expertise to explain what makes partnerships work or come apart. You'll understand them as never before and might become a better partner yourself, and not just in business."
- Sidney Perkowitz, Candler Professor of Physics Emeritus, Emory University and author of
"I have followed Sandy and her work for years. She is THE foremost expert on all things B2B. This is a great book that will show you how you can turn your 'frenemies' into strong partnerships that can deliver ongoing benefits."
- Donna L. Hoffman, Louis Rosenfeld Distinguished Professor and Co-Director, Center for the Connected Consumer, The George Washington University
"A delightful approach to solving a difficult business problem. Dr. Jap takes a refreshing look at business partnerships and builds a solid case for how many of these fail. She provides an analytical view of what goes wrong and gives actionable advice for how to take a more successful, long-lasting approach to partnering. Definitely a more nuanced discussion than your average business book."
- Silke Talsma, Ph.D., Kimberly Clark Corporation
"Sandy Jap is one of the most astute and experienced of all business marketing experts. Here, she tackles one of the most fundamentally important but misunderstood and neglected topics- how to build productive relationships with other businesses. Full of rich examples and practical research-grounded insights, Partnering with the Frenemy is enlightening and inspiring as to the possible rewards of managing business partners correctly."
- Kevin Lane Keller, E.B. Osborn Professor of Marketing, Tuck School of Business